Saturday, July 12, 2008

Where's Alec Baldwin When You Need Him?

I couldn't help but think of his Schweaty Balls routine when I came home from today's run. Not that I have balls; Dear God, I'd have much bigger concerns than whether or not I could fininsh a marathon if that were the case. But I did have sweat. A lot of it. And it was gross.

Sure I expect to get sweaty when I run. I mean it is mid-summer in the humid zone. Some sweat is only natural and to be expected. However, when I'm out and see the super-sweaters, you know who they are, I can't help but be a little put off and amazed. How could the human body lose so much water and still function?

When I feel I might possibly be venturing beyond the mild sweat zone, I picture myself in a Nike ad. One of the raw, gritty ones that seems to heavily feature black and chrome. The one where the model is absolutely dripping sweat but still manages to look stunning in her black sports bra and tanned, toned abs.

Unfortunately, there's this invention in life called a mirror and an inopportune glance at one can provide a jarring jolt of reality. Like what happened today when I got home.

Note to self: the purple sleeveless shirt, while cute, is best left for runs in the 3-mile range. The difference in purplish hue between dry and sweat-soaked is waaaaaay too disparate.


Today's Miles: 10
Total Miles: 132

1 comment:

Poteneuse said...

I am neither a runner nor a fashionista, but I am a guy, a Dad, and I am married. With those qualifications firmly planted I make the following statements of fact: Runner Girl is nuts! With respect to her "phobias", triskadeccawhatever is among the least of her nutso thoughts, however the combination make her one of the most interesting people I know with whom to have a conversation. She phobias so many things she has become a veritable expert on virtually all topics. When she returned home yesterday morning from her Schweaty Balls run I first saw her from inside her family room looking out onto the rear patio as she and Runner Hubby peered in on Moi and the runlets. My immediate reaction upon seeing her face, her sweaty bangs, and the purple sleeveless sweat-soaked shirt was "my God, I have an amazingly beautiful daughter even when she's dripping, and oh my God, she really looks like one of those runner ads on TV with the cut biceps etc." Okay, maybe the words "cut biceps" and "etc." didn't actually come to mind, but with God as my witness and on the grave of (insert the name of someone important to me) I swear that the thoughts expressed above truly reflect the gist of my reaction yesterday morning. And this is NOT a paid political announcement. Yugo Runner Girl, I've got your Schweaty Balls!