Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Runner in the Mirror

One of my goals with this blog is to get to know more about myself as a runner--the good, the bad, and the ugly. Well, one aspect has certainly come to the forefront, and it ain't purty. Ya see, apparently I like punishment.

In light of Sunday's gym experience and my just-completed run, it's difficult to argue otherwise. When Runner Neighbor and I set out this morning, I innocently thought it was just another run, no big deal. I had told RN my chosen route last night and she hadn't said anything. Fast forward to a mile into today's run and she says "Have you run this route before?" Hmmm, do I detect a note of something in her voice? I told her I had run it before, several months ago, and, now that I was thinking of it, the that last few times I've run it I've done it in reverse. This came out in a pant because we were still going uphill. In fact, we had been going uphill since we started. That's uphill for practically a mile. She offers that she's done it in reverse a few times too but only in the direction we're headed one time. Because of the hills. She had avoided it after that. "You do realize," she offers, "this way is a hell of a lot hillier, right?"

Now, did I realize that? That is the question, isnt' it? When planning the run I had told myself that Charles Street was much more scenic and hence would make a better ending route, like a carrot dangling on a proverbial stick. I thought it would be nice to get the short streets over with and save the long stretches for later. But, if I'm being truthful, I also remember thinking the run just seemed a tad too easy the other way. Those long stretches had too much downhill. Dare I say, I even thought we might get bored. So I automatically reversed the route in my head. Then I dragged my poor friend out today for four miles of continuous hills, mostly the upward fashion somehow.

It's a wonder people still talk to me.



Today's Miles: 4
Total Miles: 99

1 comment:

Poteneuse said...

Well, well, well. Guess who's coming to dinner? Runner Girl and she is meeting herself for the first time. There is something about us humans that we tend to minimize disaster, overlook serious flaws, and smile in the face of adversity. The good news is that as Runner Girl begins to know her dinner guest she will find she is intelligent, playful, competitive, supportive, demanding, encouraging, and can light up a room with her smile. Runner Girl has some things to learn about her guest and I bet she finds more and more to like. So I say Yugo Runner Girl; I've got your dinner guest!