Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Gearing Up--Take 2

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it but I bought another pair of running shoes. Yeah, I don't need new shoes but I will before the marathon and the Brooks 90-day challenge seemed like a no-fail solution. You buy any new pair of Brooks, wear them for 90 days, and can get a full refund if you don't want to marry them at the end of the 3-month romance. So I wore mine for my run today. It was six miles, a distance I thought would be perfect to try out some new shoes--long enough for any potential problems to pop up but short enough as not to do permanent damage.

Well, let me tell you, a problem did pop up. Two of them. Blisters. Big blisters. Big, bulbous, angry blisters. On the sides of my feet; how weird is that?!? And my ankles kinda hurt. I guess it's destined to be a one-run stand for me and Brooks. So long shoes--don't call me, I'll call you.

I decided to try some Nuun today too. Post-run of course lest there be another sport bean incident. It's none (nuun?)-too-yummy but I'm not ready to abandon it altogether yet. What's the appeal with Nuun? The low calories? The tablets? And what do you do with those tablets when running? You're supposed to drop them in 16 oz. of water but my fuel belt bottles hold 10 oz. at the most. Can you mix it before you go?

So many questions, my poor little brain is smoking. Just like my inflamed, blistered feet.


Today's Miles: 6
Total Miles: 183

6 comments:

Gaye said...

I tried some Nuun at a race expo. It was all right, I thought, but nothing special. And already mixed for me, in a tiny little dixie cup.

I really like Gu20. Lemon-lime. Not too sweet, but just enough flavor. I also have a plethora of assorted packets of other flavors of Gu20 and Clif Shot electrolyte drink that I just picked up at the running store to try out. I give a thumbs down to the Orange Gu20. I have a friend who swears by Luna Electrolyte Splash (and another who hates it, but likes HEED). Too many choices out there! :p

RunnerGirl said...

I've tried the Gu2O and liked it. My main worry was that I was consuming too many calories. I've been wanting to try Heed though because of the natural sugars. I used the new low-cal Gatorade after last week's half marathon and I liked it but I can only stomach the red Gatorade and I would NEVER use that on a run. I spill so much I'd look like a bloody mess before it was finsihed!

Yeah, WAY too many choices. How did runners even survive in the 60's?

Gaye said...

A couple more reviews for ya! Thumbs up to Raspberry Gu20 (although not as good as lemon-lime) and Crisp Apple Clif Shot electrolyte drink. The apple one kind of tastes like watered down apple juice. Tango mango Gu20 gets an "eh". Not bad, but not good either. I also tried the Clif Shot recovery drink in Mango orange. It was pretty good, although a little odd tasting. :)

RunnerGirl said...

Oooh, raspberry sounds good.

Did try all these when you worked the race or just in everyday training?

Gaye said...

Lemon-lime Gu2O is race-tested in my olympic tri. That, and sport beans were the only fuel I used (besides water) for my 3 1/2 hour race. The others I've just been testing out during my long runs and bike rides. I bought a bunch of different kinds last time I was at the running store. Since I've been doing my long runs with the stroller, I have storage space to take bottles with me. :)

Gaye said...

And (probably) the last review...thumbs down to Cran-Razz Clif Shot electrolyte drink. Sickly sweet, and a rather alarming color!