Sunday, July 6, 2008

Feel the Burn

Today's 9-miler was one for the ages. I was well-fueled with half a Power Bar 40 minutes before the run and "Just Plain" GU at mile 4. The route was scenic, the conversation flowed, and overall the the entire outing was easy and uneventful. What more could you ask for?

In fact, I still was basking in the glow of a run well-done about ten minutes after returning home when my Napoleonic 3-year-old runlet commanded through her mouth full of Mighty Bites "Go shower! I no wanna smell your stinkies!" Such is the life of a mom on the run.

Appropriately submissive parent that I am, I headed immediately for the shower. Since the run was so uneventful, and hence not juicy blog fodder, I thought the shower might provide a nice opportunity to reflect and see what kind of topic bubbled to the surface. Then it hit me. Literally. Or, more specifically, the shower stream hit my lower back where apparently my Fuel Belt had been chafing me during today's run. Yowwwwweeeeee!!! Is there anything else like that initial burn of water hitting a chafed spot? Especially on your back where you don't even realize you've been chafed? It's a sneak attack, a sniper in the shower stream. Sure the pain subsides as the shower progresses but the damage has been done. I couldn't help but send a silent prayer of gratitude that Dick Cheney is obviously not a runner (he's had 4 heart attacks, Big Brother, hold your charges of treason) because there's at least one potential form of torture flying under his radar.

And with that, I'll sign off. ;)


Today's Miles: 9
Total Miles: 111

No comments: