Thursday, July 3, 2008

Left at the Altar

Melodramatic, I know, but that's what I thought as I waited for Runner Neighbor this morning. We were scheduled to meet at 6:15, which equals 6:05 in RN language, so when I stepped out my door at 6:07 I fully expected to see her sitting on the stone wall waiting patiently. But, she wasn't there. Unusual? Yes. Cause for panic? No.

I decided to start walking toward her house. A logical choice anyway since she lives exactly 0.19 miles from my house and I was harboring a little concern about our planned route being a smidge shy of the 3-mile mark. As I approached the bend that serves as the halfway point between our two houses, there was still no sign of her. That was when I could feel my heart-rate increase. Time to panic? Not yet, but soon.

Mr. Dog-Walking Guy was coming toward me from the direction of RN's house. "Look calm," I thought, "It's perfectly normal that you're out here in a running skirt and Garmin just nonchalantly strolling through the 'hood at 6 a.m. Damn, if only I could whistle!" I must have been sending out some weird vibe because he actually crossed to the other side of the street to avoid me. (I'll pretend he was worried about his dog going all Cujo or something.)

I was perilously close to RN's driveway at this point and still no sign of her. I silently cursed myself for not at least turning on my watch so I would know how much time had elapsed. I mean, were we looking at 6:10 or 6:12? This was important in my freak out factor! I didn't want to actually reach her driveway because that just seemed awkward. What if she was up but she forgot? What if she was still sleeping and her husband saw me loitering around the joint like a stalker? Time for panic? Yes! Indubedably!

I was trying to decide if I should slow my walk even further or actually turn around and go home. If I went home I could check the time and see if it was late enough that I should just go out on my own. Yeah, that seemed like the best option. So it was, about 6 feet from her actual driveway, that I decided it was time to turn around and head back. But I had to do it quickly in case she came out and saw my retreating figure. Now that would be awkard!

Wait--was that a flash of hot pink??? Sweet Jesus, yes! It's her! She's here! I haven't been abandoned afterall!!

"What are you doing here? I thought we were leaving from your house," she innocently proclaimed.

"Eh, I was worried about it not being quite 3 so I thought it was best to come here," I replied.


Today's Miles: 3
Total Miles: 102

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that your blogs inspire me? It gave me the oomph to do a hill workout yesterday that I likely would not have done otherwise.

BBM / Kathleen

RunnerGirl said...

Awwww! {sniff} That warms my heart! I'm glad to see the desire for punishment is contagious. :)

Poteneuse said...

There comes a time in the life of most people when a critical choice must be made. A choice that will have a significant impact on the future of that person vis a vis relationships, career, or some such thing. I feel I may have come to such a juncture in my own life. Do I continue to suffer the indignity of serious neck strain and the resultant prolonged head droop as I shake my head repeatedly and with vigor as the inner workings of my dear offspring's mind is uncoiled in public, or do I throw up my hands in defeat and accept that she is driving me absolutely nuts with her ongoing public self-deprecting search for inner peace? A conundrum of immense proportion. Sometimes it hurts to see how screwed up she is; other times it feels good to know that I am not the only whacko in the family. And do you know what? I think I just resolved my own dilemma - lonliness is difficult to go through without someone to share it with - so I guess I'll keep popping into the blog on a regular basis as I cry "Yugo girl! I've got your melodrama right here!

Poteneuse said...

One more thing - I meant "deprecating", not "deprecting" as it appears above. Sheeesh!

Anonymous said...

Ah but see a runner's paradise is not madness but sublime. And to share it is the cherry on top. :D

BBM/Kathleen

PS I've heard alleve is great for neck pain ;)