Saturday, July 5, 2008

An Added Benefit

In preparation for some, shall we say "festive", July 4th celebrations, Running Partner and I wisely decided to postpone this weekend's long run to Sunday. That gave me the option of doing my cross-training today or taking two rest days in a row. When I woke up from said festive celebration, two rest days sounded pretty good. However, as the day wore on and rehydration occurred my legs started to feel kind of twitchy. Obnoxious, I know, but apparently I don't like to rest two days in a row. So what to do? I have to run 9 miles at 6:30 tomorrow morning so I couldn't do anything too strenuous but I was getting seriously agitated and grumpy just sitting around. The solution: a stroll. A wholesome workout befitting this Rockwellian holiday. Although I doubt Norman Rockwell was a Rapper's Delight kind of guy. It is a fun strolling song though, you should try it some time. As I was gaily mosying through my neighborhood, I noticed that my sunglasses were becoming more and more unnecessary. Not good because the sun wasn't due to set for at least another hour and a half. Then I noticed the leaves were doing that weird curling up thing they do when it's about to rain. Doubly not good. Then I felt a rain drop. Sugar foot, that had not been in the plans and I have major issues about getting my running shoes wet, especially less than twelve hours before a 9-mile run. So stroll turned into sprint. Sure there was a brief moment of "Hello, Mr. Quadricep. I hadn't realized you were along for the ride." But I found my groove quickly. And it felt good. It felt good physically to let my legs get a little running action and it felt good mentally to know that I didn't have to get stuck in the rain if I didn't want to. I made it home dry, albiet a little sweatier than I had expected, and ready for tomorrow.

No comments: