Saturday, August 30, 2008

Slow and Steady


When Running Partner and I set out for twelve miles today, in 91% humidity, neither one of us was feeling the running love. We pushed forward, heads down, not much conversation being exchanged. In fact, the few words we did speak were about how sick we are of running and how great life will be when the marathon is over. Sounds fun, doesn't it?
Then, about five miles into the run something magical happened. Running Partner stopped at a Starbucks to use the restroom and when we started running again she felt lightheaded. No, that's not the magical part! Sheeesh! The magical part is that we had to slow waaaay down so she could get her wits about her again. (I guess if I were a truly nurturing and supportive friend I would have urged her to actually stop running--but I never claimed to be perfect.)
Once we slowed down, the run suddenly became much better. I'd even dare call it fun and enjoyable. It's a lesson I've learned but often forget to put into practice: if the run sucks then I'm probably running too fast. Slow and steady may not actually win the race but it helps you finish with a smile. And joyful kittens bounding at your feet, and velvety rose petals floating from the sky, and the soothing aromas of lavendar and jasmine lingering in your wake. At least in my happy world.
Today's Miles: 12
Total Miles: 313

No comments: