Monday, September 1, 2008

Attitude is Everything

Runner Boy and I had a special Labor Day treat today. My parents came over to watch the runlets so we could run together for a change. Runner Boy is definitely improving as a running partner. That is, he's learning the rules:

  1. You must talk and make conversation, at least most of the time--there are occasional exemptions for extreme hills and such
  2. You must drop behind or run ahead when oncoming traffic approaches (rather than smush me to the curb)
  3. Above all else, you must not complain. I don't need anyone's external bad vibes harshing my mellow, ya know?

Being the awesome spouse that I am, I let Runner Boy pick today's route; the only criteria I gave him was that it had to be at least eight miles. Quite giving of me, no? Therefore, is it in any way my fault that he picked a route that includes a mile and a half section of continuous intensely steep uphill?

Now me, I like some good hill work. Especially on a short eight-miler, I don't mind pushing it a little harder than usual. (Hey, did you notice that I just called eight miles short? Sick, eh?) Runner Boy, on the other hand, started cussing audibly about a quarter mile into the incline. Then he started groaning and it simply escalated from there. I don't remember what the precise final straw was that broke my forbearance but I believe it involved the invocation of God, Jesus, or some such deity. That's when I snapped. "Enough! Enough of your negativity!" I screamed silently, or not--details, details, who can keep track of it all? "I can't take it anymore! White flag! Keep your xi-poisoning words to yourself!" I think that last part was in my head. But I know this next part was out loud for sure "Repeat after me: I love me some hills! I love me some hills!" And repeat he did. And so we continued, all military boot camp-like, until we reached the summit. I think even the people washing their cars in driveways were inspired.


Today's Miles: 8
Total Miles: 321

2 comments:

Poteneuse said...

Oh how I have missed readng these spirit lifting tales, replete with adjective most wonderful. I, however, had to take a break from the regular mind channeling because I found I was at times caught up in the post-run drama to my own dismay. I found that quietly reading then leaving worked well for my sowrrowful soul, but the ham in me has overpowered my need for quietude. At times I feel badly for Runner Boy, saddled as he is with the best and the worst of my half of Runner Girl's genes. But hey, ya takes the goos with the bad, that's the ticket! So, wth a return to dormancy I wail one last time: Yugo girl, I've got your attitude!

Anonymous said...

Good to have ya back, if only briefly, Poteneuse!

--RG