Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What A View!

After realizing that I was spending way too much time thinking about music and running, I decided to go back to my purist roots. I mean, I don't listen to music when I race, I certainly won't do it for the marathon, why do I need it to train? (Because it helps pass the time but I'm trying for something here so let me go with it, k?)

With four miles on the menu I figured it would be a good time to try out the new orthotic set-up Mr. Johnny Runlately at Local Running Store recommended. And without music or conversation to distract me, I set out with the intention of making today a "check in" run--where I commune with the environment around me and pay attention to my form, breathing, consciousness, etc. With apologies to the big R, I've runnified the adage "Speak softly and carry a big stick" to "Step softly and carry Mace" and I find that helps me pay attention to how much actual pounding my peds are doing. As for the Mace, I still need to get that. Thanks for the reminder though.

In the spirit of today's responsible approach to running, I actually included a cool down period. The running gods rewarded me, and how! As I was walking, sans headphones mind you, I heard another runner's gently striking footsteps behind me. I turned and there he was--{{sigh}}-- Adonis. With his golden hair flapping in his run-induced breeze. The only bare-chested man I've ever seen running who didn't trigger my gag reflex. Beauty personified. Runner Girl has a runner crush. And who can blame me? Adonis is so Adonis-y, I wouldn't be surprised if Runner Boy has a runner crush too. I'll have to ask him.


Today's Miles: 4
Total Miles: 213

No comments: