Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fright Fest '08

Ne.ver. A.gain.

That's how I feel about this morning's run. I woke up at 4:50--that's right, ten minutes before the alarm I had set for 5 a.m.. I used to hate people like me. I still find it annoying, even in myself. I mean, waking up in the 4 o'clock hour?!? To exercise?!?! That's just obscene.

Well I totally jinxed myself yesterday by complaining about the darkness. Today's sky made yesterday's look high noon. It was so dark that I was literally trying to remember where the pot holes are and what stretches of road usually have the most potential-ankle-twister tree limbs in the way. Why doesn't my street have street lamps? For that matter, why doesn't Charles Street, one of the most highly traveled thoroughfares in the region, have any street lamps until you reach the city line? Isn't there some kind of law about road illumination? Apparently not.

I did have on my dorky reflective vest which provided some measure of comfort but it could only do so much when my already limited vision was made more so by the blinding high-beams of oncoming cars. And, why do people drive so fast at 5 a.m.? I kept having to reassure myself that the odds of encountering some random wacko on a killing spree about to ram his car into me was truly quite small. Still, I worried.

About five miles in I was thinking that I'm totally burnt out on running and am in dire need of a break. I've been training for a race of some sort since January 1st and I'm just plain tired. I even found myself wondering if I should just bag this whole marathon idea. Then, out of the gold and orange glow of daybreak, I saw Running Partner coming toward me from the opposite direction. Running Partner! My wonderful long-run buddy!! Fellow runner whom I have never before encountered on a midweek run. Crazy, eh? Whatever your religious/spiritual beliefs, you have to admit that's quite a coincidence. Here I am at the lowest point I've ever experienced in running and out of the blue my running partner crosses my path. Wow. Something magical was at play today. Needless to say I was instantly jerked out of my rut and found myself powering some 7 minute/miles the rest of the way home.



Today's Miles: 9
Total Miles: 297

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know it sounds like you are in the "transition" part of marathon labor, IYKWIM...it passes and you'll feel the high again soon.

BBM

RunnerGirl said...

Oh, a glimmer of hope. Thanks!