Thursday, June 5, 2008

Rock on?

Oh, the insanity that is running. This time last year I spent an agonizing month or so gradually weaning myself off of running with music. I would start my run but wouldn't be allowed to turn my iPod on until a reached a quarter mile, then half a mile, then one mile, and so on and so on until I finally ran the entire time without any music at all. I think that first completely music-free run was 7 miles. And boy, talk about a runner's high. I was so proud of myself, like I'd joined an elite club or something. Like I was finally legitimate and hard-core. Dare I say I even felt a little superior to those runner's who still relied on music as a crutch? Ugly, I know. But having been there and diligently worked past it, I felt justified.

Now for the crazy part. The cuckoo, looney, daffy, buggy, bananas, totally bat-shit bonkers part: I'm thinking about running with music again. I don't really have a good reason. Or, any reason at all, for that matter. It's just kind of gut feeling that maybe I'd enjoy it. I can rationalize that I've been running with friends frequently enough that now the solo runs feel lonely, and I can make the argument that I initially gave up the music for safety reasons (gotta hear the approaching cars and all that) but with my runs moving to 6:30 a.m. there are decidely fewer dangers out and about.

Should this really be such a major decision? Maybe yes, maybe no. One thing I've learned in Running Land though is that all the small details have the potential to be huge. I call it the Blister Effect.


Today's Miles: 3
Total Miles: 39.5

No comments: