Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Road Less Traveled

Woohoo! Another benefit of a running partner: you learn new running routes. Yesterday's post was almost about having to run the same darn roads over and over (and over and over) again. I'm seriously in a rut here, folks. Yesterday, however, I saw Running Neighbor outside and she said she would plan today's route. Just be at house at her 6:30.

So this morning I set out, GU'd up of course, at 6:15 not 6:30--she's not going to catch me with that one again--and the darn woman was already waiting at the bend between our two houses! I mean I'm all for enthusiasm and what not, just not that early. I save my enthusiasm for the more genteel 9 o'clock hour.

As we started running, her exuberant, me along for the ride, I quickly realized she must be some kind of genius. How else can you explain the simultaneous abilities of raising three kids AND remembering there are four points on a compass? When she turned left at the top of our street, I about fell over. Holy moly! I thought. She's turning left! What a renegade! We're going into totally unchartered territory! I've been more of a north, south, and east girl myself but I have to say, after this morning, west side represent fo' sho'!

Not to mention, I didn't have any trouble keeping up with Sister Speed today. (Do I have to admit she did her long run last night and I had fresh legs?)

Todays' run: 3 miles on the West side.


Today's Miles: 3
Total Miles: 69

1 comment:

Poteneuse said...

East side, west side, all around the town as I'm looking out at the road rushing under my feet! One time, I was going for a walk and I went the wrong way. One time I went to a show and the cartoons were real. One time I thought about becoming a runner but realized I was not a very good writer so why bother. Right now Runner Girl is soooo caught up in the excitement of packing for vacay she is easily impressed. Yugo girl, I've got your compost errr... compass. (I know it's lame, but it's all I got.)