Saturday, June 7, 2008

Love on the Run

You know you're smitten with running when you're watching Air Bud with the runlets and during a supposedly poignant scene all you can think is "Wow, that road would be an AWESOME road to run on! I wonder where they filmed this? Could I find that actual road?" And it's days like today that cement the infatuation. Just.Pure.Happiness. Like trying to define "love," there aren't the right words to truly do it justice.

Today's run was a trifecta: awesome company, great gear, and a scenic route. RP and I set out at 6:30 a.m.. Even that early the humidity was 93% but I ran with my Fuel Belt for the first time and am now a total convert. I shared some ice cold water with RP after one of the more challenging hills and it was all the nectar she needed to be a convert as well. We chatted the entire time, hills and all. We encouraged each other when we were struggling, affirmed each other on the straight aways, and basically just had buoyed each other throughout the whole run. There was a funny moment on one obnoxious hill when we both stopped talking for a second and she exclaimed into the silence "Hey, your shoe's not squeaking!" Yeah, it had been that bad. Dumb and Mummer are nicely doing their silent jobs. I also realized today that GU is the perfect pre-run fuel when you're heading out that early. No need to set the alarm to some obnoxious pre-dawn time just to wolf down a PowerBar or toast with peanut butter.

My next run will be the first official run on Hal Higdon's training program. Here we go!


Today's Miles: 5.5
Total Miles: 45

1 comment:

Poteneuse said...

I am always impressed with the ability of a female to "affirm" another human being. Actually I'm impressed with their ability to even know how to affirm someone. Cool beans. Well, it's about time for Hal. This should be interesting, and I look forward to being with you every step of the way. In spirit. Yugo girl - I've got your GU.