Friday, June 20, 2008

Only the Lonely

With Running Partner out of town and Running Neighbor not interested in a 7-miler, today I was on my own. At first it was great. We're getting reading to go on vacation and I did a mental check of my packing list. I envisioned myself putting specific items in the suitcases, hoping the imagery might possibly prevent me from forgetting something crucial, like a bathing suit or my son. When that got old I sang the first verse of Best of Both Worlds again and again (Hannah Montana version not Van Halen--that's just where I am in life). But then even that got old too. Hard to imagine, I know.

I found myself thinking about RP and wondering what she was doing. I tried to guess what RN and I would be talking about if she were with me. I came to the sad realization that I was, in fact, lonely. And I still had 3.92 miles to go--not that I was obsessing or anything. Alas, with stiff upper lip, I ran on.

The cosmos must have been watching poor little Runner Girl, however, because a sweet gift was waiting just a short mile later. While running past a line of cars waiting at a stop light, Runner Girl heard her name being called exuberantly. She turned and saw Long Lost College Friend! Oh smiley, splendid pick-me-up! No time or opportunity to stop and chat, but it wasn't needed. Just seeing LLCF was the fuel needed to carry on, chin up, head high, happy run home.


Today's Miles: 7
Total Miles: 76

No comments: