Saturday, May 31, 2008

Gearing Up

With the official kick-off to marathon training only eight days away, I'm getting prepared. "Squeaky" (a.k.a. my left running shoe) and I are soon to part ways. Squeaky's been getting a little too mouthy on my runs lately. You know it's bad when the noise even starts to bother your running partner. Squeaky was mute and submissive until that memorable trail run in the pouring down rain. He found his voice that fated day and has gleefully squeaked along with every step since. Squeak, squeak, squeak. Imagine ten miles of that: squeak, squeak, squeak. It's maddening. When I got the email from the running store this past week saying that Squeaky's model was being discontinued and was thus on clearance for 40% off--well, I'm very fond of Squeaky, don't get me wrong, but it's a relationship that can't last forever. Squeaky already has over 400 miles on him so I'd be justified in replacing him by that factor alone. Now a new pair, hopefully "Dumb and Mummer," are peacefully tucked in my closet awaiting their intial outing.

And, as they say, "When in Rome...." Or, in my case "When in the running store..." What?? My marathon training is starting soon. A girl's gotta be prepared. Soooo, I got a new fuel belt too. Well, that's misleading. I didn't actually buy the fuel belt at the running store. The clerks were nice enough to let me take the belt out on a couple of test loops around the parking lot before commiting. Which I did. I just commited to come home and buy it for $5 less on eBay.

Okay, okay, I also bought two sleeveless running shirts. Well, I didn't really buy them, my mom did. Runner Mommy takes good care of Runner Girl. I've always been a little resistant to the whole sleeveless thing but after a few calculations I realized I've already done over 2,500 push-ups so far in 2008. If that doesn't warrant a sleeveless shirt, I don't know what does. Of course, I had to add about 30 more push-ups this morning before heading out for my first sleeveless run.

So now it's all out there.

Today's run: A sleeveless 6 miles with Running Partner.

Today's Miles: 6
Total Miles: 33.5

5 comments:

Poteneuse said...

Well, well, well. So Runner Mommy takes good care of Runner Girl does she? Veeeerrrrryyyyy interesting - but stupid! It is funny how art imitates life, and how life is nothing more than a whole big bunch of emotions. And the good new is that Poteneuse NEVER has trouble with emotions, does he? Yugo girl - I've got your Runner Mommy!

RunnerGirl said...

Ummmm, yeah...

Poteneuse said...

One time - I saw the Backyardigans - and they were real! And then on Sunday night he went to Old Time Radio at WAMU but you can't go because you are Runner Girl and I'm not. Yugo girl - I've got your Ummmm!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Glad to know that it isn't only my shoes that have a personality or that I am only loyal to the pair that treats me well.

And 2500 pushups so far this year - wowzie!

Amy
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com

Poteneuse said...

And at 12:00 AM exactly Tuesday morning per the little clock displayed on the lower right corner of my screen I wonder - Where did you go? It's been too long. I miss you. Yugo girl. I've got you mother.