Sunday, May 25, 2008

Pride Goeth Before the Fall

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I have enough friends who run to have heard plenty of horror stories. Today, apparently, was my day. The Fall. The Big Wipeout. The ol' "Ass Over Tin Cups," so to speak. Thank you once again, oh running gods, for letting my horrendous spill occur only in view of Running Partner. No passing motorists, no gawking dog walkers, just me, RP, and a slew of old trees. All in all I guess I fared pretty well--a nasty gash on my hand and a scraped leg. RP tried to get me to turn around and head back but there was no way I was copping out only two miles into an 8-mile run. Uh-uh, no way, no how.

Today's run: Running Partner (a.k.a. RP--see above) and I met for our second run together. Our plan is to do all of our long runs together until the marathon. We're not officially in training yet but, in addition to being running partners, we're also good friends and we're using the weekend runs right now as a chance to hang out and share some juicy girl talk. We did her route last week so this week was my turn. I picked a hilly, somewhat trail-ish route. It's about as beautiful as Baltimore can get. In fact, RP was motioning to the lake and saying something bucolic about "Fried Green Tomatoes" when my world came crashing and spinning in a chaotic whirly-dervil. Must look at roots, not at lake. Roots! NOT lake! Managed to keep running the entire eight miles, although the last six were definitely a little bloody. Now for the real fun: the post-run shower where I get to find out just how many raw, stinging scrapes I really have.

Today's miles: 8
Total miles: 16

1 comment:

Poteneuse said...

I'm not sure what it is in your bloodline that makes you behave in such an addictive manner. Have you considered counseling? And by the way RG - Yugo girl. If you need Poteneuse to watch the runlets so you can go on a run I'm sure he would be amenable to a phone call.