Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"Yeah."

This past Sunday, some of our neighbors organized a kindergarten mixer for all the kids starting kindergarten in the fall. It was a great opportunity for my middle runlet to meet some new friends and for Runner Boy and I to mingle with their parents. When I was talking to one of the moms, she asked where we live. I told her the street name and she asked me to describe my house. She said the street is on most of her running routes (!) and she probably has passed our place many times. Of course I jumped on the running topic immediately.

Me: So you're a runner?!?

Her: Not really. I'm trying to become one though. I trained for a half marathon while my husband was training for a full marathon last fall.

Me (to her husband): What marathon did you run?

Him: Memphis.

Me: Ooh, that sounds flat. Was it?

Him: Yup, it was pretty flat. So you must be a runner?

Me: Yeah.

Yadda, yadda, yadda from there. But, and this is huge, I had just nonchalantly confirmed that I'm a runner! When I first started this blog almost two years ago, I remember feeling like a poser and hoping that one day I could actually consider myself a "real" runner. I guess all those miles in between have changed me more than I realize. Yeah, I AM a runner.

No comments: