Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Cheatin' Heart

Gah. I hate to admit it, but I've been thinking about cheating. On my mileage that is. You see, I can pinpoint the problem. The problem is I have no frickin' official training schedule for this godforsaken marathon that's only ten (?) weeks away. Who doesn't even know how far away their marathon is?!?! For chrissake, I'm a hot mess this time around.


I've got Coach Crazylegs in one corner yelling "Run, run, run! A billion miles a week! Faster, longer, harder!" He's insane. Then I have Hal Higdon in the other corner saying "Take it easy. It's time on your feet, not effort that counts. Have fun. Be gentle with yourself." (That's a paraphrase obviously. Don't sue me, Hal.)


So where does that leave me? I try to find my own happy medium but this chick doesn't work well with some abstract happy medium. I need numbers. I need a spreadsheet. I need a training program that says what to run on what day.


I'm thinking I need to make up my own schedule, but I'm having trouble trusting myself with that endeavor. I'm committed to Coach Crazylegs for Wednesday track, which is about 5.5 miles, and Saturday long runs--which tend to be at least 4 miles longer than ol' Hal's suggestion on any given weekend, mind you. Should I just follow Hal for Tuesdays and Thursdays? What about when Hal's schedule gets up to 10 miles on Wednesday and I'm only doing 5.5 at track? Does that fact that I run so fast I puke in my mouth make up for the difference in distance?


Does everyone freak out this much??????


1 comment:

P.O.M. said...

Oh yeah, don't we all freak out like that? Just get youself a calendar, work backwards with your long runs and that's all you really need to do. :) Good luck.